Lone Star Ag Credit, a rural lending cooperative, recently awarded scholarships to six college-bound students. The recipients of this year’s $2,500 scholarships are Neeraj Bhakta of Cameron; Kanyon Carper of Roscoe; Trey Denny of Detroit; Makenzie Newton of New Boston; Brody Rogers of Hamilton; and Bailey Teter of Riesel.
All six students were involved in rural youth organizations such as FFA and 4-H, served their communities in many ways and have a deep appreciation of agriculture. Scholarship applicants each completed a two-page essay on the topic, “My plan for a career in agriculture.”
The students will all head off to college this fall:
- A graduate of C.H. Yoe High School, Neeraj Bhakta will attend Texas A&M University, where he will pursue a degree in plant and environmental soil science.
- Kanyon Carper, a graduate of Highland High School, will attend Texas Tech University to major in natural resources management.
- A Detroit High School graduate, Trey Denny will attend Northeast Texas Community College in Mount Pleasant to pursue a degree in natural resources management.
- Makenzie Newton, a graduate of New Boston High School, will attend Texas A&M University to major in animal science.
- A graduate of Hamilton High School, Brody Rogers will attend Texas A&M University to major in animal science.
- Bailey Teter is a Riesel High School graduate who will attend Texas Tech University to pursue a degree in meat science business.