Lone Star Ag Credit, a rural lending cooperative, was proud to support and promote the 2018 Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo held Jan. 12 through Feb. 3. More than 29,000 head of top-quality livestock were exhibited, including about 12,000 from 4-H and FFA members in Texas.
Following are highlights of Lone Star Ag Credit’s 2018 participation in the event:
- Presenting Sponsor, Chuck Wagon Races – This tests drivers who guide their chuck wagons and teams of horses around a race course at each rodeo performance.
- Presenting Sponsor, Mustang Magic Competition – The invitation-only event, held Jan. 18, 19 and 20, featured competition for Extreme Mustang Makeover trainers. The mustangs were available for adoption following the finals.
- Presenting Sponsor, Livestock Appreciation Day Luncheon – Journalist Bob Schieffer was the keynote speaker and Juan Hernandez received the W.A. “Bill” King Award for Excellence in Agriculture at the Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo’s annual luncheon on Jan. 18. The award’s namesake, Mr. King, founded the Fort Worth Farm and Ranch Club in 1950 and served as the stock show’s livestock manager from 1947 to 1977.
- Commercial Female Cattle Sale and Contest – An impressive collection of replacement females, approximately 700 bred heifers and pairs, were offered Feb. 3. Lone Star has been a multi-year supporter of the competition and sale. The heifers, from leading ranches, were shown and sold in six divisions: Brahman Influenced, All Black Brahman, Other Brahman, Angus, English/English/Cross and Continental/Cross.
- Junior Sale of Champions – Along with many others, Lone Star lent support to the Fort Worth Stock Show Syndicate, which bought 4-H and FFA members’ animals on Feb. 3 in the Junior Sale of Champions.
- Calf Scramble Scholarship Program – Students competed in the calf scramble at each rodeo performance. The winners received a $500 certificate to purchase a beef or dairy heifer to raise and show at next year’s Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. Lone Star was proud to be one of the many sponsors of this program, which also awards college scholarships.Headquartered in Fort Worth, Lone Star Ag Credit offers financing expertise and options for rural real estate, rural homes, agribusinesses, operating lines of credit, equipment and livestock.